Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Our Master Bedroom

I've been trying to find a paint color for our master bedroom for years. Literally. Like ten years. The walls were beginning to look like a very bad camouflage job. Part of the problem was that we changed from dark cherry and mahogany furniture to a medium toned rustic oak. But most of the problem stemmed from our bedroom facing north. There is very little natural light. Then a year ago Mr. Wonderful began night shift. To help him sleep I purchased black out curtains. So.much.darker. I get sleepy just walking in there during the day.

I can't even remember the different names of paint samples I used. I started with grays. More recently I tried Elk Horn and Rattan, both by Benjamin Moore. My friend has these colors in her house and I LOVE them. They didn't work in our room.

Then Thanksgiving 2015 rolled around and I found myself at The Farm. The Farm is my family's 200 year old farmhouse. It is where my dad was raised. It has always held such a special place in my heart. My aunt now lives there and she's made several changes including repainting several rooms. I'm so happy that a family member has the home! Believe me it is a labor of love because there are so many things that have needed updating. 200 years of living can really take a toll on a place.

As we gathered in the dining room to give thanks for all the wonderful things we were about to partake of, I noticed the new paint color. It was green of course, my favorite color. I looked at the walls and the color of the oak table and realized that the color just might work in our master bathroom. Fortunately my aunt remembered the color she'd chosen and even gave me the paint chip to take home.

A couple of weeks later and I was getting my gallon of paint. After painting the bathroom I had a tiny bit left. I walked into the bedroom and thought, "One more paint sample can't hurt."The wall already had 7 different colors on it (and that's not counting the original wall color). The moment the paintbrush hit the wall I knew, I KNEW I'd found it. Unfortunately it was only enough to paint one coat on one wall. So now I'm waiting until I get back to the store for another gallon.

Sherwin Williams Ancient Marble

Headboard Vaughn Bassett Timber Mill collection in oak. Wall color Sherwin Williams Ancient Marble.
I know I need to do something above the headboard because the picture isn't nearly big enough now that I see it in a photo. 

So that's it for now. I'll do another post when I get the rest of the room painted and the bedspread is back on the bed. The trim we plan to stain (which was another reason it was difficult to find the right color). And we have some AWESOME knotty pine doors to install. Here's a sneak peak of them.
Now if I can only decide on a stain for the doors. *sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment